Introduction to Serious Games and Traditional eLearning
As the world of technology continues to evolve, so do the methods of training and educating employees. Two popular options that have emerged in recent years are serious games and traditional eLearning. But which one is more effective for your company? In this article, we’ll explore the pros and cons of each approach and help you decide which one is best for your business.
What are Serious Games?
A serious game is a type of computer game that is designed for a primary purpose other than pure entertainment. These games are used for educational, training, or informative purposes. They can be used to teach employees new skills, reinforce existing knowledge, or even to simulate real-world scenarios. Some examples of serious games include:
- Medical training simulations
- Military training simulations
- Business management simulations
- Safety training simulations
What is Traditional eLearning?
Traditional eLearning is a type of education or training that is delivered through electronic means, such as a computer or mobile device. This can include self-paced online courses, webinars, and e-books. Traditional eLearning is often used to provide employees with the knowledge and skills that they need to perform their job duties. Some examples of traditional eLearning include:
- Online courses on specific software or tools
- Webinars on industry-specific topics
- E-books on company policies and procedures
Advantages and Disadvantages of Serious Games
Serious games offer a number of advantages over traditional eLearning, such as:
- Engagement: Serious games are designed to be fun and interactive, which makes them more engaging for employees. This helps to keep employees interested in the material and improves their retention of the information.
- Real-world application: Many serious games simulate real-world scenarios, which allows employees to practice their skills in a safe and controlled environment. This can help to prepare them for the challenges they will face on the job.
- Customization: Serious games can be customized to meet the specific needs of your company. This allows you to tailor the training to the unique needs of your employees and your industry.
However, serious games also have some disadvantages, such as:
- Cost: Developing a serious game can be expensive, especially if you need to hire a game development team. Here I want to mention that the Quickskills editor solves this problem.
- Time: Creating a serious game can take a significant amount of time, which can be a challenge for companies with tight deadlines.
- Limited audience: Not all employees may be interested in playing games, which can limit the effectiveness of this approach.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Traditional eLearning
Traditional eLearning offers a number of advantages over serious games, such as:
- Cost: Traditional eLearning is typically less expensive than developing a serious game.
- Accessibility: Traditional eLearning can be accessed by employees at any time and from any location, which makes it more convenient.
- Customization: Traditional eLearning can also be customized to meet the specific needs of your company.
However, traditional eLearning also has some disadvantages, such as:
- Engagement: Traditional eLearning can be less engaging than serious games, which can make it more difficult for employees to retain the information.
- Limited interactivity: Traditional eLearning typically lacks the interactive elements that are found in serious games, which can make it less effective for teaching certain skills.
In conclusion, both serious games and traditional eLearning have their own advantages and disadvantages.
It ultimately comes down to the specific needs of your company and your employees.
If you are looking for a more engaging and interactive way to train employees, then serious games may be the best option. However, if cost and accessibility are major concerns for your company, then traditional eLearning may be a better fit. It is also worth considering a blended approach, which combines elements of both serious games and traditional eLearning, to create a more well-rounded training program.
It is always best to consult with your employees to see what they prefer and what suits them best. Also, keep in mind that it’s always a good idea to test out different methods and see what works best for your company. With the right approach, you can ensure that your employees are well-trained and prepared to meet the challenges of their roles.